‘100@100’ Exhibition Showcases Artwork to Support Visiting Artist Program

Published: December 10, 2014

‘100@100’ Exhibition Showcases Artwork to Support Visiting Artist Program

Students, local artists and alumni submitted their art pieces to be showcased and sold at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi’s eighth annual 100@100 fundraiser exhibition.

The opening reception was held on Friday, Dec. 5, at the Islander Art Gallery, located at 4024 Weber Road in the Hamlin Shopping Center. The art pieces will remain on display through Saturday, Dec. 20, for anyone interested in supporting the artists and Visiting Artist Program.

“It’s a great opportunity for a collaborative exhibition around this time of the year,” said Dr. Laura Petican, Assistant Professor and Galleries Director. “Everybody gets to participate and show their artwork while the community benefits the University galleries and the Visiting Artist Program.”

The exhibition showcased all genres of art including two-dimensional, three-dimensional, and mixed media. Each piece was sold for $100 or less with the artists receiving 60 percent of the sale and the rest of the 40 percent will go to the Visiting Artist Program in the Department of Art at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.

”I like to create art that expresses my feelings,” said Evija Rucevska, a local artist who submitted her artwork. “My particular piece of art was called ‘Tears of Pain’ because I was really missing home and it came through to me in that way.”  

Islander Art Gallery hours are Wednesday through Sunday from noon to 6 p.m.