University Honors Outstanding Alumni, Athletes at 2015 Homecoming Honors Banquet
March 02, 2015
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas – Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi alumni and athletes were honored for their outstanding efforts during the 2015 Homecoming Honors Banquet held on February 27 in the University Center, Anchor Ballroom.
Awards presented that evening included College Alumni Awards, Athletic Hall of Honor Inductions, and Distinguished Alumni Awards. The event was part of the University’s Homecoming Week 2015 held from February 23-28. A list of the award recipients, their categories, and their accomplishments is as follows:
Award recipients were:
College Alumni Awards
- College of Business: Rosie Vela ‘79 ‘80, Financial Director for the City of Ingleside.
- College of Education: Dr. Roy Lehman ‘80 ‘82 ‘02, a “working retiree” as a Professor of Biology and Director of the Laguna Madre Field Station at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi.
- College of Liberal Arts: Omar G. Lopez ‘11, with AEP Texas.
- College of Nursing & Health Sciences: Leslie Gembol, MSN, RN, NEA-BC ‘04, Chief Nursing Officer at Baylor Scott & White Round Rock Region.
- College of Science & Engineering: Korinne Caruso ‘02 ‘05, Instructor of Computer Science at Del Mar College.
Athletic Hall of Honor Inductions
- Dr. Jack Dugan: Ophthalmologist and Founder of the Dugan Eye Institute has been a long-standing and dedicated supporter of Islander Athletics.
- Goncalo Figueiredo ‘06 ‘12: Winningest Islanders men’s tennis player of all time, and Associate Head Coach for the Islanders men’s and women’s tennis programs.
- Shirald Hendrix ‘60: Former Basketball Player and Co-Captain for the University of Corpus Christi Tarpons who led the team to the first round of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Championship playoffs in 1960.
Distinguished Alumni Awards
- Young Alumni Award: David Fonseca ‘11 ‘12, Incubator Manager at the Coastal Bend Business Innovation Center and Adjunct Professor of Business at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi. Originally from Colombia, he is co-founder of the Young Business Professionals of the Coastal Bend.
- Outstanding Alumnus: Patrick Richardson ‘03, Solution Advisor for HIS, a global information services corporation. He is heavily involved in philanthropy and a current Board Member of the Greater Houston Alumni Chapter of A&M-Corpus Christi.
- Distinguished Alumnus: Dr. David McKee ‘80, Retired Professor of Biology and Mariculture at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi. Developed the Master of Science in Fisheries and Mariculture Program.