Using pictures and words, document the progress you have made this semester in terms of your professional development and describe the actions you will take moving forward to (eventually) achieve your professional goals.
Purpose: One of the primary goals of our science learning community is to help students develop the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed not only in your first semester of college, but throughout your university career and beyond. Achieving your professional goals will require a lot more than just excellent grades. In addition to joining student organizations and pursuing summer internships and research positions, you will need master skills such as teamwork, communication, critical thinking, and responsibility. It is essential that you regularly evaluate your own progress to ensure that you are moving in the right direction to achieve your professional goals.
Assignment: Reflect on the progress you have made this semester in professional development in terms of at least 3 of the 8 wellness dimensions (including Occupational Wellness). Examples of evidence may include improving your academic research, writing, and communication skills, understanding science literature, and developing strategies for success in your courses. Be honest, but also try to view each experience as a learning opportunity. For example, many students have learned tough lessons about teamwork. Rather than focusing on the shortcomings of others, reflect on how well you think you have contributed to the teams you have worked with, and what you can do to improve your ability to work in a team setting in the future. For additional ideas, please review the course objectives and learning outcomes on the Syllabus. Most of these will be essential to your success regardless of professional career or discipline!!
Because this essay is a personal reflection, you have a considerable amount of freedom in choosing what will go in it. However, make sure to begin your essay with a clear introduction and thesis and wrap things up with a satisfying conclusion. The body of the essay should be well-structured and evidence-based, using the three components of reflective writing to describe:
- What is the evidence? (What is the reader actually looking at?)
- What does the evidence represent? (What was learned and how specifically does this piece of evidence contribute to that learning.)
- How will this be used in the future? (How will you apply the learning you just described as you move forward?)
Reflection is important because it helps us assess our progress as individuals. It helps us to pay attention to the things that work for us and it helps us to formulate plans for the future, but you must follow through all steps of the process!
Format: Same as previous portfolio!
Word (or pdf) document with evidence, approximately 2 double spaced pages before you add in pictures.
- Include an introduction and transitions to form a cohesive essay.
- At least 5 body paragraphs. Reflect on your growth this semester in terms of at least 3 of the 8 dimensions of wellness (including occupational). For each dimension, include evidence demonstrating your progress so far andat least 1 activity you will pursue moving forward.
- In the conclusion, explain what grade you think you have earned on this assignment as well as this semester in seminar.
This is a college-level writing assignment; spelling, punctuation, grammar, usage, or sentence errors that detract from your reader's ability to understand your message should be avoided. The expectation is that your submission is a polished piece of work and your essay will be graded accordingly.